Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Review: Carnivores by Aaron Reynolds and Dan Santat

9780811866903

Some books you order automatically, simply based on the author or illustrator, and Reynolds and Santat both have that power. 

Other books you should order even if they were written my Joe-Schmo-who-no-one-ever-heard-of, and this is one of those books as well.

The lion is king of the jungle!
The great white shark is sovereign of the seas!
The timber wolf is emperor of the forests!


But . . . it's lonely at the top of the food chain. It's difficult to fit in when plant eaters can be so cruel—just because you ate a relative of theirs that one time! What's a carnivore to do?

I ordered this title for the author/illustrator reason, and when it hit my desk (like, 15 minutes ago), and I read it for the first time, I cackled out loud like a crazy person. Then I ran up to the front desk and subjected the two clerks there to an impromptu story time.

Listen, this is probably NOT the story to read to your first grade class about acceptance and differences. Trust me, the next recess would not go well, and you would have some 'splaining to do to other grown-ups. 

But, Oh Mylanta, is it funny! Completely demented, but funny! DO take it home and read it to your own demented urchins, where the only parents you have to answer to are yourselves.




No comments:

Post a Comment