Monday, March 12, 2018

Book Review: I Got a Chicken for My Birthday by Laura Gehl and Sarah Horne

9781512431308
$17.99

I remember one Christmas asking for a brown stuffed dog. Every time we were at the mall, I dragged my parental unit in to the store to point out the exact stuffed dog I wanted. On Christmas morning, I opened my gifts and found a brown stuffed...bear.

We've all been there, right?

The heroine of our story asked her Abuela over and over for tickets to the amusement park. On her birthday, she got...a chicken? Okay, that's not even remotely close. In fact, I would venture a guess that the chicken and the amusement park tickets were not even sold in the same store. 

Not that chickens are all bad. In fact, we just picked up half a dozen ourselves, and this weekend I bled all over the chicken coop I am fixing up for them. Nothing beats real, fresh eggs! But...her chicken is too busy to lay eggs. What on earth is she doing??

Children will love gleaning hints from Horne's fun illustrations, while adults will get a smile out of the wry humor in Gehl's sparse text. All can appreciate the message that sometimes what we get is better than what we thought we wanted. This is sure to tickle my Medium Guy in particular, and I predict it will make the rounds of several bedtimes before I can wrestle it back to the library to catalog it. Pick it up if you want something a little different and fun for your shelves!

No comments:

Post a Comment