Saturday, January 21, 2012

Preparing for the Apocalypse

I am not a hoarder. I am a mom, librarian, and former school teacher who lives far away from the grocery store. Okay, maybe I am a little bit of a hoarder, but any of the above categories gives you license to be one. Today, The Pioneer Woman (who lives much further from a grocery store than I do) listed items she keeps on hand at all times, and that of course had me itching to run right back to Walmart and stock up.

Obviously I am not the only one, because there are already hundreds of comments mentioning staples she 'missed', and giving great ideas like carmelizing onions and freezing them, or putting leftover sauces in ice cube trays to add to things like mashed potatoes.

What would you add? I like to take leftovers that aren't getting any love and put them through the food mill. I freeze small portions to use later as baby food, or to add to chilis or casseroles. You can often toss in some pureed vegetables without anyone being any wiser - and what Daddy doesn't know about that leftover squash won't hurt him:)

No comments:

Post a Comment