Thursday, September 29, 2016

I Don't Wanna Story Time

We have done bedtime and bath time and sharing story times, and the attraction to those stories always seems to be the universal theme of kids not wanting to do what parents want them to. We decided to put them all together and title our story time, "I Don't Wanna!"

Our pre-reading focus of the week was Narrative Skills, so I started off talking about how we always start off talking about things! I tell he kids about my weekend, and they tell me things. Yes, it gets us focused while people are trickling in, but there is another purpose to it - getting that beginning/middle/end order straight. I told them about our family picture attempts this weekend, when my 2yo absolutely REFUSED to be anywhere but in my arms, with his head buried in my shoulder. I can't wait to see all the fabulous pictures of...the back of his head. None of my story time listeners are ever stubborn like that, are they? Refusing to do what Mommy needs them to do? Of COURSE not!

Well then, who better than our old friend Pigeon to illustrate stubbornness?

Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
9780786837465
$12.99

Monday I had a set of siblings sitting down front, and big sister was adamant that Pigeon was NOT getting any extra time - she's tough!

Next up - a favorite in my house:

Boy Who Wouldn't Share
9780060591328
$16.99

Finally, one off the New Books shelf:

Dragon Was Terrible
9780374300494
$16.99

This dragon is AWFUL! He belches in church, he steals candy from baby unicorns...several groups, promised a wonderful gift from the king as a reward, try to conquer him, with humorous results. Finally a clever boy (because there is always a clever boy or girl) lures dragon in and calms him with a story - of course! His reward? A dragon friend, naturally (the king is very thrifty, but he is a man of his word.)

Everybody needs their own dragon friend, right? For our craft, we made one to take home:



I used this paper bag puppet template from Create in the Chaos. Some kids (and moms) cut out scraps to make lower jaws, fangs, etc., all on their own. I LOVE when they think outside the box!

Some alternate titles I had on hand, but did not end up reading this time:

Waiting Is Not Easy! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)
9781423199571
$9.99

Playtime?
9780399175985
$16.99

The Mine-O-Saur
9780399246425
currently out of print




No comments:

Post a Comment