Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Review: Read the Book, Lemmings! by Ame Dyckman and Zachariah OHora

9780316343480
$17.99

Oh my goodness. First on my list of possible Cybils nominees for next year. I think the author's note sums it up best:

"When I was little, I saw a movie that showed lemmings jumping off cliffs. Years later I learned that, except in very rare cases, lemmings DON'T jump off cliffs. My first thought was, 'OH NO! DID ANYONE TELL THE LEMMINGS?!' So, we made this book. You're welcome, lemmings."

In our cast of characters we have a comic trio of lemmings, a very deadpan, stoic ship captain (picture the dad in the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs movies), and a very patient fox. I giggled just reading it at my desk, and I know it is destined to send small children into gales of laughter. I am dying to read it out loud in story time, I just have to figure out the appropriate distinct small squeaky voices for the lemmings - because they MUST have their own voices, and they must be small and squeaky. Thinking a la Petrie and Ducky from Land Before Time.

And yes, my children have been watching too many movies lately. Bringing this book home should put a stop to that!



No comments:

Post a Comment