Monday, October 16, 2017

Review: Triangle by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen

9780763696030
$15.99

Meet Triangle. He is going to play a sneaky trick on his friend, Square. Or so Triangle thinks. . . . With this first tale in a new trilogy, partners in crime Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen will have readers wondering just who they can trust in a richly imagined world of shapes. 

Barnett and Klassen are two of my one of my go-to authors for field trip read-alouds. A little bit snarky, a little bit (okay, a lot) irreverent - one might even say subversive. I just realized, however, that I have never reviewed anything by either one of them! Perhaps because it doesn't take long for their books to become such widespread hits that the world really doesn't need my commentary added.

To be honest, this one isn't my favorite by either, but if I was still teaching I would probably use it in a classroom lesson or two. There are discussion possibilities (When are tricks funny and when are they not?) as well as art (What kinds of landscapes and characters can you create using just simple shapes?) 
Klassen is a whiz with facial expression, especially those eyes! 

Rumor has it this is the first of a series, like I Want My Hat Back, so perhaps the next title will bring things together more - as it stands right now, the ending felt a bit abrupt - the energy suddenly came to a full stop. Still, a worthy addition to your library shelves!

*NOTE: This title has been nominated for the Cybils Award, and I am a first round panelist. There are many nominations and six other judges. My opinions should not be construed as a sign of inclusion or exclusion on the final short list.



No comments:

Post a Comment