Monday, September 30, 2013

Review: It's About Stinkin' Time!

Have you ever noticed that it's when you are super busy and don't have much time to read, that long-awaited books finally come in? I have three I am dying to read, two of which are sitting on my desk right this second, and absolutely zero time to get to them.
 
The first is a long-awaited sequel to this book:
 
The Compound
 
It came out FOUR YEARS AGO, and I read it and loved it and immediately wanted to know what happened to the survivors afterward. "Immediately" finally became this month:
 
The Fallout
978-031-265-0117
 
I won't include a description in case you haven't read the first (which you should go do right now), but the jacket and teasers I have seen definitely have my attention.
 
The next two I want to read because of the author:
 
Chasing Shadows
978-037-586-3424
 
Avasthi's first book, Split, came out in 2010, when I happened to be a judge on the Young Adult Fiction panel for the Cybils Award. Out of all the books submitted, Split came out on top. It won numerous other accolades, and you would think the author would follow it up with something new within the next year...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, she has to TEASE us for three years. This looks to be well worth the wait, including a great storyline AND parts in graphic novel form. I will probably forgive her:)
 
The last comes out tomorrow, so I don't have it in hand yet:
 
Stained
978-054-794-2087
 
Sixteen-year-old Sarah Meadows longs for "normal." Born with a port wine stain covering half her face, all her life she’s been plagued by stares, giggles, bullying, and disgust. But when she’s abducted on the way home from school, Sarah is forced to uncover the courage she never knew she had, become a hero rather than a victim, and learn to look beyond her face to find the beauty and strength she has inside. It’s that—or succumb to a killer.
 
I've read the first chapter online, just enough to whet the appetite. Rainfield is the author of Hunted, and Scars, which has been very popular here. She is also an absolute sweetheart! It has been ordered, so I will at least be able to stare longingly at it soon.
 
The first two are ready to be checked out here at the library - unless it is my lunch hour, and I am hidden in the back with one of them!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment