Friday, May 2, 2014

Review: Boa's Bad Birthday by Jeanne Willis and Tony Ross

There are certain illustrators any book enthusiast can pick out a mile away. Tony Ross is definitely one such illustrator.
 
 
Boa's Bad Birthday
9781467734509
 
Poor Boa. They say it's the thought that counts, but what do you do when the gifts you get for your birthday don't show a whole lot of thought behind them.
 
"But what he really wanted to say was, 'Why buy me mittens? Are you crazy? I have no hands!'"
 
Who would have thought that the best gift would be a ball of dung?*
 
A very cute story, with wonderful facial expressions in Ross's illustrations, and a stated but not heavy-handed message. I predict being asked to read this one over and over.
 
*For the record, I once asked for, and was very happy to receive, 300 pounds of manure as a gift. But, I'm a grown-up, and we're weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment