Sunday, July 24, 2011

Garden Update

 Funny thing happens when you, say, have a baby, and ignore your garden for a week or so - especially when it (finally) rains all that week:

Holy Swiss Chard, Batman!
Wow! That's a lot of green!

This is ONE tomato plant and a few watermelon vines (Christopher's garden). There were other plants at one point, but these, as you can see, have kind of taken over.

So, what's going on with the beans/yellow squash? Have they enjoyed the rain also?


I guess that would be a "yes". Perhaps we shouldn't have watched "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" yesterday.

Actually, we harvested our first yellow squash this morning.

Side story: she liked it so much, she wanted to play with it. Mean old Mommy wouldn't let her. So she bit me on the knee! Then looked up at me with an expression of, "So what are you going to do about it?" I gave her a one-minute time-out, sitting on the floor in front of the sofa. Oh, the tears! The heart-broken sobs! The stifled laughter (the latter would be from M. and I). Then we talked about how naughty that was, and said sorry and I love you, and two seconds later she was asking to play with the squash again.

So, will there be other yellow squash to fight over?

This looks promising.


This looks...different...

This...isn't even a squash.

Let's face it, folks, I have no idea what's growing in this garden.

Wait...what's that? Creeping up above the squash plants? Is it....no...can't be...


BEANS!!!  With bugs on them. Don't care.


And then we have these guys. They were not found in my garden, were not released anywhere near my garden, and really have nothing to do with my garden - but aren't they cute? Very tame, too - someone has been feeding them, which has made them a nuisance to other people, which is why Daddy was called to trap them. Don't worry, though, they have already been relocated somewhere more appropriate, together and unharmed (except for the minor trauma of having been brought to the house first, and probably fearing they would have to live near my scary children. And be fed squash.)



No comments:

Post a Comment