Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Summer Reading in 3...2...

Whew! Seems like when I have the most to blog about, I have the least amount of time to actually do it.

We held our opening registration for the Summer Reading Program on the last day of school (May 22 here). It was PACKED!


At the same time, we had a visiting archaeologist in the next room, with lots of cool hands-on artifacts.


Yes, hands-on! I think the man is crazy, and I walked past those pots with my hands in my pockets all day - but, nothing got broken (even when my kids took a look - whew!)


Everyone seemed to have a great time, and we registered about twice the normal number of kids. That trend has continued so far, and since, in my experience, the kids who register at the beginning are very likely to earn their t-shirts...singing in an Anna voice, "Do you wanna be a sponsor?"


I sent out a mass mailing, and a couple businesses have stepped up to the plate. Papa John's actually approached us about bringing pizza to some of our teen and tween programs - score!

As one of our passive programs, we have had these "Who Is Your Hero" forms for kids to fill out. This one is, hands-down, my favorite so far:


The little art corner has attracted a few artists:


as well as Shane, who likes to throw the crayons everywhere, then stand there and say "Ohhhhhhhhh!" in a shocked voice - as if he has NO idea who did that.

My teen volunteers started this week. Looks like a good group so far! We are getting them comfortable with getting kids registered this week, before jumping into the craziness of prizes and programs this week. 

The free lunches have also begun, and the supervisor (who is new this year) almost had a heart attack when I told him we have 750 kids signed up so far. I reassured him that they do not actually all come in at the same time!

This lawn will be much more crowded this time next week!

At times it can seem like they are all here at once, however, so I am off to straighten the room for the umpteenth time today. See you all at story time!

No comments:

Post a Comment