Saturday, June 20, 2015

Jammy Dump Cake

As I have mentioned a time or two before, I am slightly addicted to Bountiful Baskets. All that glorious produce, at such great prices! This weekend is our local cherry festival, and cherries are going for around $4 a pound, $3.59 in the stores when I looked this week, and on BB? Around $2 a pound. 

Sometimes, however, I order a teensy bit more than I can deal with in a week, and I have to make something quickly. There is only so much you can stuff into a freezer, so the fruit often becomes jam.


I have a lot of jam.

You can only eat so many PB and J sandwiches, and laws have made it ridiculously hard to sell things you have made at home, so I am always looking for new ways to use it. Today I got to thinking about dump cakes, and wondered if they would work with jams as well as with pie fillings. I couldn't find anything on line, which left me with one way to find out:


I remember when my old rafting group made dump cake, we used the squirt bottles of butter and put a ribbon on top, but that's one thing I don't generally buy. 


Layer half the cake mix, a pint of jam, the other half of the cake mix, and thinly sliced butter. Into the oven at 350 for about half an hour, and...

then completely forget to take a picture of it before you eat it. Think VERY rich brownies, perfect with cool whip or ice cream! I think next time I might give it one quick stir, as a couple spots stayed dry - or, maybe just use more butter. Otherwise, it was great! 

Now, what cake mix would go with the pina colada jam...

No comments:

Post a Comment