Tuesday, October 7, 2014

78 Shopping Days Left and Fire Prevention Week! Review: I'm Brave, by Kate and Jim McMullan

I'm Brave!

9780062203182

He's a big red engine with a siren,
a horn,
a tank full of water,
and a whole lotta hose!
He's a good-lookin' fire truck,
and he's brave, too.
When the alarm sounds eeeeeeeoooooooooo he's gotta drive through smoke and heat straight to a blazing fire!
Honk!
Honk!

Well, I have to say, while I have held several in my hands, I have never seen a Halligan tool  mentioned in a picture book before. For the non firefighters, this:


is a Halligan. Very useful for opening car doors, smashing windows, and causing general mayhem.

Don't worry, this is not a book instructing our children in causing general mayhem (as if they need one!) What we have here is an impressively thorough and accurate, while sparsely written, picture book about a fire truck. Dispatch gets a mention. Squeegeeing the hoses afterward. Different types of fire trucks. I literally cannot get over how much information is packed into this short little book!

The McMullans have already been popular with their "I'm Bad", "I'm Dirty", and "I Stink", but I think this is their best yet. The text and pictures are exciting (but not scary), and my kids pounced on it and fought over it the second I brought it home. A definite addition to our read-aloud list!

Gifting suggestions:
Well, of course a fire truck, or firefighter costume are obvious and great choices - there are so many out there, I won't even begin to try to link to one!

Call your local fire department, and see if they will give you a tour. If you invite some friends, they may be more open to it. Don't forget your volunteer fire departments!

How about this giant floor puzzle?

Melissa & Doug Giant Fire Truck Floor Puzzle
A fire truck lunch box?



Really, there is so much out there for the budding firefighter, you probably don't need my help with ideas. Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment