Sunday, March 17, 2013

Two New Picture Books

Perfectly Percy
978-006-180-4366
 
It's cliche, but I just have to say it: Perfectly Percy is perfectly adorable. I read it at work, and immediately added Paul Schmid to my "authors to watch" list. (It should have already been on it for the "Petunia" books, but sometimes I'm asleep at the wheel.) Nothing grand or complicated, just a simple story of a little guy with a perplexing problem (for some reason I am stuck in alliteration mode), who comes up with a solution all on his own. Both story and illustrations should please the pickiest preschooler - they definitely pleased me!
 
 
Monsters Love Colors
978-006-212-5941
 
"Monsters love to scribble, scribble, mix, dance, and wiggle!"
 
Well, what a coincidence, so do my little monsters - and just about every other preschooler out there. Smiling monsters shout out their favorite colors, splashing them across the page, then help some little greyish monsters find their own shades. A very high-energy way to explore primary and secondary colors. Now that it is getting warmer outside, this would be a great book to share before going out and trying some messy paint projects of your own. Put watered-down paint in squirt bottles, or fling paint onto canvas a la Jackson Pollock. Color vanilla pudding instead, and do some finger-painting indoors. Tons of possibilities! I think I'll be checking out Austin's other books, as well!
 
Thank-you to HarperCollins for both review copies!

No comments:

Post a Comment