Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Review: The Legend of Rock, Paper, Scissors by Drew Daywalt and Adam Rex

9780062438898
$17.99

"I hope you’re wearing your BATTLE PANTS!
You’ve played the game. Now read the legend of the three great warriors who started it all . . .ROCK! PAPER! SCISSORS!"
If Escargot must be read in a French accent, this one requires a good announcer's voice! Each of our mighty ones is the undisputed champion of his domain - but where is the challenge when everyone else is so easily defeated? 

ROCK versus APRICOT! 
"I will beat you, Rock, with my tart and tangy sweetness!"
...
ROCK IS VICTORIOUS
"Ugh, I am smooshed!"
"And yet, smooshing you has brought me no joy."

Enough tongue in cheek humor to keep even the most exhausted parent ready to "read this one again!" Enough plain old silliness to make this a crowd pleaser for all ages. And only Adam Rex could get this much expression and emotion out of a - well, a rock, paper, and scissors. A must-have for every library!

*NOTE: This title has been nominated for the Cybils Award, and I am a first round panelist. There are many nominations and six other judges. My opinions should not be construed as a sign of inclusion or exclusion on the final short list.

No comments:

Post a Comment