Friday, October 13, 2017

Review: 7 Ate 9 - the Untold Story, by Tara Lazar and Ross MacDonald

9781484717790
$17.99

6 has a problem.
Everyone knows that 7 is always after him. Word on the street is that 7 ate 9. If that's true, 6's days are numbered. Lucky for him, Private I is on the case. But the facts just don't add up.
It's odd.
Will Private I put two and two together and solve the problem . . . or is 6 next in line to be subtracted?

This seems to be my week for punny books. My kids LOVE the old "7 ate 9" joke, and this takes it a dozen steps further. 

"Numbers. They're always stuck in a problem."
"My days are numbered."
"I...ordered a slice of pi."

Groooooan! As expected, the kids devoured it, and were soon repeating half the lines in it. Logan even came up with a couple new puns himself! (Can't imagine where he gets that from). That lines thing up nicely for a language arts/math extension. Can your students think of more number puns? How about letters? (Notice the private "I"!) Shapes? Other math terms?

A fun addition to the home or classroom library, and one you will probably be reading aloud more than once.

*NOTE: This title has been nominated for the Cybils Award, and I am a first round panelist. There are many nominations and six other judges. My opinions should not be construed as a sign of inclusion or exclusion on the final short list.

No comments:

Post a Comment