Monday, September 15, 2014

Tea Cart Update

Last month, I asked for your suggestions on this tea cart that I picked up for $5.


It definitely needed some TLC, particularly the top:


And, while only one person replied on the actual blog post, there were several suggestions on the Facebook link. I was leaning towards wood, until I took the top off and turned it over:


Not only would I need to replace the drawer stops exactly right - not a huge deal - but, see those grooves close to the edges? Those are where the old-fashioned hinges, which I wanted to re-use, fit in. I do not have the tools or the skills to get those right! 

So, in the end, I went with Charlotte from Charlotte's Library's suggestion, albeit backwards. First I varnished the heck out of the particle board to seal it, then I painted that part with a thick black enamel paint. This involved painter's tape and dire threats should anyone come close enough to jostle me while I was getting the edges. There are still a couple little things to take care of - I think I am going to have to order a drawer pull off Ebay to get what I want - but, here is the almost-finished product!

Please ignore dirty dishes in background.

The part that is giving us problems is the front legs. We are having a heck of a time finding the right size replacements. Table legs are usually too big, so we tried these balustrades, which are too small. I may have to cannibalize something else from a thrift store! These will do for now - but I'm not bothering to stain them. 

A few of my Facebook friends may recognize the tea tray:


It was a gift from my Ukrainians students when I left, more than 20 years ago! I think it looks pretty nice against the black, don't you?



No comments:

Post a Comment