Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Green Beans with Tomatoes a la The Pioneer Woman

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I got two new cookbooks for Christmas, and I have been happily trying out recipes from them. I promised to review them, but I don't always remember to take pictures as I go!
 
Last night we had leftover Vegetable Lasagna from one of The Pioneer Woman's recipes (leftover only because I had made a huge dish). I try to serve something new alongside leftovers, and these green beans were easy to make, and fit with it nicely.
 
You can find the complete recipe starting on page 270 of her latest cookbook. Basically, you cook up some bacon pieces, then add chopped onion to sauté:
 
 
This will smell REALLY good, and may attract thieves.
 
 
Add your green beans - the recipe calls for raw, but I had these from a Bountiful Basket haul back in August. The kids had helped me snip the ends off, so I got to tell them they helped make dinner!

 
Add some whole tomatoes.

 
I also threw in some roasted tomatoes (Bountiful Baskets last week!)

 
Cover and simmer. Since my green beans were canned, I just gave it ten minutes. Long enough for all the flavors to come together.

 
Yum!! A big hit, which is good, because I have another 20 quarts or so of those green beans, and as you can see from the thievery photo, lots of canned tomatoes in various forms! Check out the cookbook or PW's web site for exact measurements and instructions (not to mention much better photography).

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment