Friday, September 20, 2019

Review: Babymoon by Hayley Barrett and Juana Martinez-Neal

978-0-7636-8852-3
$16.99

The house is hushed. The lights are low.
We’re basking in a newborn glow.

Inside the cozy house, a baby has arrived! The world is eager to meet the newcomer, but there will be time enough for that later. Right now, the family is on its babymoon: cocooning, connecting, learning, and muddling through each new concern. While the term “babymoon” is often used to refer to a parents’ getaway before the birth of a child, it was originally coined by midwives to describe days like these: at home with a newborn, with the world held at bay and the wonder of a new family constellation unfolding.

Okay, first things first: Is this not the most adorable little family ever?? I want them to come to library programs so they can be my friends! I immediately had to look up other books illustrated by Martinez-Neal. Have that one. Reading that one for story time next summer. Ooh! I will need to order this one when it comes out next month!

There's a tiny question in my head of who this book might be for. With no older sibling included I am not sure small children will identify, although it could certainly be read with them to explain why we are not having friends over for a little bit. It would make a great baby shower gift, maybe one of the first books for the new family to read with baby.

The rest of my head doesn't really care who the intended audience is: it's just too sweet not to be enjoyed! Read it to remind yourself of those first days, or to look forward to them as the case may be. Or just read it to enjoy the exquisite illustrations - I defy you to look the baby yawning and not yawn yourself! Extra kudos for the lovely illustration of the mother breastfeeding the baby. That's one for a nursery wall! And of course the family pup and cat are seen throughout, checking on this new pack member.

Now, for the bigger question: do I donate this copy to the library as I usually do, or keep it for myself?



No comments:

Post a Comment