Sunday, December 11, 2016

Review: This is Not a Book by Jean Jullien

This Is Not a Book
9780714871127
$9.95

This is (not) a board book, and those are generally aimed towards babies and toddlers. My kids, though (ages 2, 3, 5, 6 and 10), are all obsessed with it!

This clever not-book is a toy, an imagination station, a tool for interactive play. Each oversized, two-page spread is something different: a computer screen and keyboard just right for typing, a refrigerator to pretend to take food out of, a man on a tightrope to wobble back and forth as you walk a straight line, a boy inside a tent to prop up, and a set of butt cheeks to...well, I'm sure your kids will figure something out as well. There are no instructions, and none are needed - leave kids to their own imaginations, and they will take it from there. 

Of the 200 or so books I have brought home for Cybils, this is the one that has walked away from my desk the most often. I have the feeling I will have to buy a new copy for the library, because I'm not going to be allowed to take this one out of the house!

***This book has been nominated for the Cybils Awards, and I am a first-round panelist in this category. There are many other panelists, and many MANY other great nominees, so a good or bad review here does not necessarily predict placement on the shortlist.  


No comments:

Post a Comment