Monday, February 10, 2014

Bountiful Baskets Start to Finish, Part 3 - Let's Get Cooking!

Yesterday, I made a loose meal plan for the week after looking over our basket haul. I say "loosely", because, let's face it, life happens! This is what the menu for the week looks like at the moment:
 
Sunday - Lunch - mini pizzas (leftover English muffins and pepperoni)
Supper - salad with chicken chunks (baked with roasted tomato slices from last month's BB), blue cheese stuffed mushrooms (last month's BB), turnip greens with bacon and garlic
 
Monday - S. has gymnastics, so we'll be eating out!
 
Tuesday - Turkey and Sausage Apple Stuffing (leftover from Thanksgiving...2012...but still yummy! Stuffing is from The Pioneer Woman's recipe.)
 
Wednesday - Autumn Pork Roast, Pinto Beans, Cucumber and Tomato Salad
 
Thursday - My late night to work. Leftovers all around.
 
Friday - Lunch - Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Supper - Meatloaf, Roasted Leeks
 
Saturday - Cheese Enchiladas, veggies and dip
 
Sunday (our Valentine's Day because of work schedules) - steak (it's good to have friends who raise cattle!), asparagus, mushrooms (sautéed or breaded and fried, I haven't decided)
 
The main dishes were already made and in the freezer, and the sides I will make fresh, so Sunday was baked goods day. I started with the cut up tortillas that came in the hostess pack. The instructions said to brush with oil, salt, and bake...but I already have bags of plain corn tortilla chips. I made about half of these into cinnamon sugar chips, instead. Just spread the tortilla pieces on a cookie sheet:
 
 
fighting the OCD urge to make them fit perfectly (it will just get messed up when you flip them!) Brush with oil or use cooking spray. Laziness won out over health, and I used the spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then flip and repeat.
 
 
Bake in oven preheated to 400 degrees.
I have no idea why I felt the need to photograph that, but there it is.
 
Watch carefully! I burned several before I finally stopped trying to do too many things at once. If you are rotating four trays, by the time you finish getting two trays prepared, the other two in the oven will be ready to come out.
 
Let cool on the cookie sheet, then transfer to plastic container or baggie.
 
I also tried cocoa and sugar, seasoned salt, garlic salt, and paprika and lime as toppings. Several ended up too salty - I can be a bit heavy-handed with toppings - but all were sampled heavily by the crew!
 
Next up, something for breakfasts. I saw a recipe for Blueberry Zucchini Bread on allrecipes.com, and thought I would try it with blackberries. Zucchini bread is pretty much the only way Daddy will eat the things! 
 
Quick breads give me a fit at this altitude, but I've found it helps to sift the dry ingredients, whether it calls for that or not,
 
 
and either reduce the liquids, or add flour. I added 1/4 cup flour, because I replaced the only liquid (oil) with a half pint of apple butter.
 
 
Pour into four mini loaf pans, or two regular. I sprinkled a few more berries on top of each. I baked as prescribed in the recipe, then when the outside looked done, turned the oven off and left them in. That helps the middle finish cooking, without burning the outside.
 
 
Perfect! Chewy crust, soft inside.
 
 
Hey! That was supposed to be for breakfast, you guys!
 
Next post: loaded fruit muffins, and blue cheese stuffed mushrooms. Do not mix the two recipes.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment