Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Picture Book Review: In Front of My House by Marianne Dubuc

I generally review picture books grouped together, but every once in a while there is one that stands out enough to get its own post.

In Front of My House
E DUBU

This absoluetly adorable offering from marianne Dubuc is one such book. The thickness makes you wonder if you are picking up an odd-shaped chapter book, but there are just a few words per page. Prepositions abound as the narrator tells us what is in front of his/her house - a rosebush, and on the rosebush, a little bird, and above the little bird, a window...and so on. Familiar items, with humor sprinkled throughout ("under my bed...Whew! Nothing at all."), just MAY inspire your young reader to create his or her own version.

In fact, after reading this, I immediately wanted to go back to teaching elementary school, just so I could read it to my class, then present them with little blank booklets and walk them through picturing what is in front of their house, as they created their own brilliantly individual works of art.

Then I realized that this probably wouldn't be on the standardized test, so I probably wouldn't be able to spend the time on it, and that I get to do a lot more teaching as a librarian than I did as a teacher, so maybe I will just save the idea for a field trip. In the meantime, I will definitely be bringing this one home to my kids, and probably hand-selling it to a few home schooling families. (Miss S. and Mr. X., what is in front of YOUR house?)

1 comment: