Saturday, February 25, 2012

And So It Begins

My posts have been few and far between lately. We are down about half our salaried people at work, with one of the remaining three about to go on medical leave for a month. Some nights I just come home and collapse! I was also without my laptop for a while, as whenever I turned it on, it would pop up with 800 messages telling me a) I no longer had a C drive, and b) the world was about to end. M. let me borrow her little netbook, but it just wasn't the same.

What internet time I did have was devoted to helping Daddy get his own blog up and running. Because none of us has enough going on, and because it's always fun to hear people make up crazy things about you, he has decided to run for County Commissioner. He may have other reasons besides those, but you can find them on his blog.. Anything I post here will be more about the family's experiences as the campaign goes on.

Today was the first 'family appearance', at the local Republican Party Convention. Kids were scrubbed and dressed - and lectured! Yes, some of our younger friends would be there, but this was NOT a running-around type of party. S. was informed on the way in the door that there would be cookies. "There are COOKIES??!!" I think everyone in a six block radius got that information. They were all very good, playing in the back of the room; or, in L's case, staring at people intently (I think his strategy is to make them so unnerved they agree to vote any way he says, just PLEASE STOP STARING AT ME!!!)

M. had one interesting conversation, when Daddy's opponent approached her and asked who she was there with. "My Dad, Mike Jones." "Oh," he replied conversationally, "Is he running for something?"

Awkward.

We had hoped to stay long enough to hear Daddy's speech, but as it neared lunchtime, toddler patience wore thin. We played outside with our friends for a bit, then gave up and headed out for errands and home. S and L took a 30-second nap, while C. and I built a hideout around a fallen tree*. Talking with old friends and meeting some new people this morning was fun, but it was also good to have some kid time. Here's hoping we can keep that balance!


*Remember how I said the kids were scrubbed and dressed earlier? Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment